History of Streetcar Route - In 1896, the electrified streetcar replaced the horse and carriage as the most efficient transportation between Catonsville and Baltimore. In 1899, the Baltimore Streetcar Company ran a 1/3 mile spur line into the woods near Montrose Ave. (now the #8 Streetcar Path) to connect the #8 Frederick Road route to the #14 Edmondson Avenue and #9 Ellicott City route (now the Trolley Trail). The streetcar ended service in 1963 when the last streetcar in Baltimore ran on this line. The tracks were torn up and the property fell into disrepair.
History of Trail – In 1996, a group from the Old Catonsville Neighborhood organized by Maureen Sweeney Smith restored the property owned by MTA into a bike/hike path. The project was transferred to the newly formed Catonsville Rails To Trails (CRTT) in 1999. In 2008, CRTT secured a grant from SHA and the trail was paved. CRTT continues to maintain the trail.
History of Mural – The mural was designed and created by 14 year old Clark LeCompte as his Eagle Scout project in 1997. Marjean Irwin, a resident living near the trail, also contributed her talents to the mural by creating the scenery depicting houses and waiting stations along the trail.
Over the years, the mural has been defaced by graffiti. In June 2011, teens at the Kaleidoscope Arts Camp at the Christian Temple restored the mural with a thorough cleaning followed by a fresh coat of paint.