Home » Trails  »  Short Line Railroad Trail

Catonsville Rails to Trails

Welcome to Catonsville Rails to Trails

Short Line Railroad Trail


The Short Line Railroad ran from St. Agnes Station (present day Loudon Park), on the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad (B&P, now Amtrak), to Catonsville — a distance of about 3.5 miles.

The railroad would pass through the lands of

  • J. B. Brinkley, near Loudon Park Cemetery
  • Seemuiler and Beechfield Estates,
  • The properties of R. W. L. Rasin, John Gill, Dr. G. A. Liebig (present day locations of the National Cemetery, Charlestown Retirement Community, and the community of Kenwood) and Tilton Tinsley’s Paradise estate.
  • West of Paradise, the line would continue through John Wethered’s property, the Spring Grove Asylum and the Mitz estate.
  • Crossing under Bloomsbury Lane the Short Line entered the Glenn property, reaching Frederick road at a point near its junction with Mellor Avenue.


Ground was broken on December 6, 1883, with completion anticipated in May 1884, at an estimated price of $37,000. The Catonsville Short Line and the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad entered into a lease agreement on December 6, 1883, that gave the B&P exclusive rights to the Short Line for a term of ninety-nine years relating to the use, management and operation of the railroad.

On Monday, November 10, 1884, operations began as the first revenue run was made from Catonsville. The first published schedule for the Short Line listed eight round trip passenger trains a day between Catonsville and Baltimore. In addition, an unknown number of scheduled freight trains, and periodic special trains, traversed the line during its first years.

The yard along Mellor Avenue was completed in December 1884, which provided an immediate opportunity for local businesses. Mail service was added to the Short Line’s sources of revenue in March 1885. In addition, an eight-wire telegraph line was constructed along the rights-of-way by the Western Union Telegraph Company, during the spring. The final improvement to the yard area was the completion of the ticket office and waiting room in April 1885, at the terminus of the track next to Library Hall on Frederick Road.

As the Short Line prospered, and Catonsville continued to grow, the City and Suburban Electric Company began constructing an electric line from Baltimore along Frederick Road to Catonsville. Completed in 1897, the new trolley line had the immediate effect of drawing away a great deal of the Short Line’s passenger traffic. This created a deficit in operating revenue for the B&P causing them to discontinue passenger service in 1898. The B&P had not released their claims as related to freight traffic however, and continued to offer freight service on a flexible schedule that allowed them to earn a profit.

However, the railroad found itself facing a pattern of dwindling revenues throughout the 1930s as a result of the economic depression that had gripped the nation. Eventually filing bankruptcy, the Short Line was sold to the Hudson Realty Company and the newly formed Caton & Loudon (C&L) Railway in October, 1945.

Citing a lack of customers and mounting losses, Penn Central (Pennsylvania Railroad’s successor) petitioned for the abandonment of the C&L. After running the last carload to Catonsville in April 1972, the abandonment became official on July 28, 1973, when the Interstate Commerce Commission granted Penn Central’s petition.

Entrance Garden at Maiden Choice Lane 001Today, the Catonsville Short Line is enjoying a rebirth as a 2.2 mile bike/hike trail.  Since 1999, Catonsville Rails To Trails has been raising funds, overseeing construction and promoting the trail.  Approximately 1 mile of the trail has a crusher run surface and a second portion is slated for resurfacing in the summer of 2013.








Early 1880s    Land was donated by nearby estate owners to enable a rail line to come to Catonsville.

1884                Catonsville Short Line Railroad begins passenger & freight service, running up to 7 trains per day.

1896                Streetcar Service begins on Frederick Road which greatly reduces  passenger customer base and passenger line is discontinued.  Freight line continues 1 to 2 times a week.

1972                Last train runs in April, 1972.

1999                CRTT begins reclaiming/restoring trail for community bike/hike trail.




Early 1880s     Land donated by local estate owners

1884 – 1972    Various railroad companies bought and sold the railway.  Last owner was Caton & Louden Railway and was owned by the Chertkof family.

2012                Chertkof family agrees to donate railroad right of way to CRTT.

2011               CRTT Board of Directors agrees to donate to Baltimore County.

Dec. 2011        Baltimore County Council votes to accept the donation of land

Dec. 2012        Chertkof family officially donates land to CRTT.  The firm of Gordon Feinblatt handled donation.


Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » appearance » Widgets » and move a widget into Advertise Widget Zone